The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) has apologised for the delay in paying out the R350 social relief of distress grant and has committed to making the payments by the end of April.
Paseka Letsatsi, speaking on Morning Live on SABC 2, on Tuesday said that the social relief of distress grant was expected to end in January and SASSA had been preparing its annual financial statement’s in line with this when the grant was unexpectedly extended until April.
“We had to compile a report and send it to the minister and shut it down. However, there was an extension of the grant to April. We can confirm that by month end people will be paid for March and April,” he told Morning Live.
However, he declined to provide a payment date at this stage saying that SASSA would announce the date once it had been finalised.
Letsatsi said that every citizen who had successfully applied for the R350 social relief of distress grant would be paid out.
“Each and every person who has made an application and was approved will be paid. We are not merely going to close our books. Before we close our books we are going to make sure each and every person who made and application is paid out,” he said.
Asked what was happening regaridng
He said that every application that was pending would be assessed according to its own merit
He added that if people had lodged successful appeals after applications had initially been declined, they would be paid out too.
“We know who is in the database and we clear the process every month and we know some people’s conditions have changed. Now the good thing is I have committed the organisation that we come here (on SABC) before month end to make sure we give you an update and take the public into confidence,” he said.
“As an organisation we have made tremendous progress.”