Six of South Africa’s nine provinces are currently experiencing a punishing heatwave, as eastern and central regions of the country entered a prolonged period of extreme weather. Temperatures soared on Sunday, and unfortunately, things only hot-up again for these affected areas on Monday afternoon…
What defines a heatwave?
A heatwave is generally classed as an extended period of hot weather, relative to the expected conditions of the area at that time of year, which may be accompanied by high humidity. To be branded a heatwave, the unusually high temperatures must be recorded above the monthly average for more than two days in a row.
Heat Wave will affect 6 provinces from Sunday until Tuesday (20 October 2020).
1. Stay hydrated with water
2. Never leave pets or children alone in a vehicle
3. Limit your physical outdoor activity between 11:00 and 15:00
4. Wear light clothes
5. Check on elderly
— SA Weather Service (@SAWeatherServic) October 17, 2020
Weather in South Africa for Monday 19 October:
- Kimberley is set to reach a high of 38°C on Monday afternoon.
- Upington will reach 34°C.
- Dibeng is on course to swelter at 37°C.
- Pretoria will, according to Ventusky, reach a maximum of 35°C on Monday.
- Johannesburg is relatively cooler, with 31°C predicted across the city.
- Vereeniging will push the mercury up to 36°C, however.
- Sesobe could see temperatures peak at 39°C.
- Rustenburg won’t fare much better, with 38°C forecast for the town.
- Schweizer-Reneke, on the other side of the province, will bake in 36°C heat.
- Mokopane looks set to be the provincial hot-spot, topping 37°C tomorrow.
- Thohoyandou will be 35°C on Monday afternoon.
- Polokwane might escape the worst of things, with 31°C predicted for the city.
- Emalahleni is set to be the warmest part of Mpumalanga, with the mercury rising to 33°C.
- Middelburg is slightly cooler, peaking at 31°C.
- Nelspruit, meanwhile, may have got away with one: It’ll be 27°C here at its peak.
- Bloemfontein is likely to sizzle in 36°C heat.
- Dealesville could be the provincial hot-spot, with 37°C forecast by midday.
- Welkom will see temperatures hit the 35°C mark.