The Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni says more people accused of orchestrating the recent riots will be arrested soon. Ntshaveni gave an update on government’s response to the unrest, which ravaged parts of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) and Gauteng, during which shops, malls and other establishments were looted and vandalised.
Six people have been handcuffed so far for their alleged roles in the rampage – that’s exactly half the number of people who have been fingered in the violence. In the previous week, government said they had identified 12 individuals they believe instigated the riots, which started out as protests in KZN, demanding former president Jacob Zuma’s release from prison.
Alleged riots’ instigators not named yet
For now though, it remains unclear exactly who all the suspects behind the riots are. Only two of them are known to the public at this point – former Ukhozi FM DJ Ngizwe Mchunu who handed himself over at a Durban police station and Bruce Aldrin Nimmerhoudt, a 45-year-old man believed to have been the voice behind one of the recordings circulating on social media, encouraging Roodepoort residents to commit public violence.
Nimmerhoudt appeared in the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 19 July 2021 – he is one of three suspects who have been remanded in custody, as per Ntshavheni’s statement.
“6 key arrests have been made to date, of these arrests 3 suspects are reminded in police custody for bail hearings later in the week and other court appearances are expected soon. One has been given bail in Gauteng. The details on these cases will be provided later but charges against them include incitement to commit public violence. Further arrests are expected soon”
Acting Minister in the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni
Meanwhile, a 21 year-old woman who was also arrested in connection with the riots, is set to make an appearance in the Nigel Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 20 July 2021.
Ntshavheni has pleaded for patience and says for now, they cannot disclose any of the suspects’ names.