Alleged Cape Town underworld boss Nafiz Modack and his co-accused have seen their bail application postponed yet again on Friday after their attorneys said that they still require more time to compile their case in addition to what they feel is vague State-provided information on the dozens of charges levelled against their clients. 

With a new Magistrate having been assigned to the case, the matter was postponed until 9 June. Modack, Zane Kilian, and the rest of the accused will remain in police custody until then. Ricardo Morgan, who also appeared on Friday has been granted bail already.

Defence request more time and information  

Last week, the State handed over a 55 page charge sheet to the Blue Downs Magistrates’ Court, with a whopping 63 charges against Modack, Jacques Cronje, Kilian, Ricardo Morgan, Janice Adonis, Amaal Jantjies, as well as  Anti-Gang Unit (AGU) member Ashley Tabisher.  

Despite the outlining of the various offences the group are accused of (which include murder, attempted murder, extortion, money laundering and more), the defence insist they need to be furnished with more information. 

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson in the Western Cape, Eric Ntabazalila, said that more legal process will be required as a result, and that this means the bail application must be postponed. 

“They seem to want the whole docket, which they’re not entitled to at this stage. It is for this reason that we suggested to the court that instead we’ll argue and the court will rule what they’re entitled to and what we can give to them,” he said. 

Modack to remain in custody  

Modack was arrested in April and has since been accused of being behind the assassination of AGU head Charl Kinnear, as well as an attempt to murder prominent Cape Town attorney William Booth in February last year.

Tabisher is accused of providing the alleged Junky Funky Kids gang leader with confidential AGU information, with Kilian accused of running a widespread track and trace operation that led assassins to the aforementioned victims. 

.

Presh JM Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *