Charges against 10 men accused of storming a luxury car dealership in Cape Town and wreaking havoc as they proceeded to smash the windows of several expensive sports cars have been dropped on Thursday 11 March, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) have confirmed. 

More questions than answers have arisen from the case, with CCTV footage having captured the chaotic scenes that unfolded on 17 February 2021 in their entirety. Police have gone on record saying that this was “no regular business robbery”, with the men who stormed the Toy Shop dealership in Milnerton having demanded the keys to two of the cars and threatened staff members. 

Luxury car dealership suspects released  

NPA spokesperson in the Western Cape, Eric Ntabazalila, said on Thursday that while police continue to investigate exactly what led to the dramatic incident, the men will be released from custody.

“The State provisionally withdrew charges against all the accused in order to pursue further investigation before presenting its case before the court,” he said. 

He said that the docket has been returned to the Investigating Officer for them to carry out further investigations.

South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Andre Traut said that the incident is likely linked to extortion, and that the massive group that stormed the dealership were likely there to “send a message” to the owner. 

“Certain demands were made at the dealership and when those demands were not met, 40 men came inside and trashed the cars. The case that was opened was a business robbery but this is not your usual business robbery where money etc was taken although certain items were removed from the business, we believe there’s more to the story and it was obviously a warning to the owner of the business,” said Traut. 

“We’re not going to have hooligans go around businesses extorting people, we believe that extortion is not ruled out in the incident.”

Suspects linked to 28s gang in Cape Town 

The following men had previously been arrested by the SAPS Organised Crime Unit and taken to Maitland Police Station before appearing in court on charges of attempted robbery and malicious damage to property:

  • Simon Stanfield; 
  • Jeffrey Pitolo; 
  • Keith September;
  • Anzio Arnolds; 
  • Adiel Paul;
  • Luke Pretorius; 
  • Kevin Kiddo; 
  • John Fernandez;
  • Mogamat Stellenboom, and; 
  • Jonathan Petersen.

Certain members of the group that were arrested are believed to be linked to the 28s gang, police said earlier this month. 

.

Presh JM Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *